The Bristol Suspensions is Bristol’s mixed, auditioned a cappella group that specialises in modern music. Now entering our 10th year of existence, we have become a hit with audiences across the country, and are known for our unique arrangements, stunning vocals, and high-energy performances, as well as our warm presence within the a cappella community. We sing a variety of music, from pop to jazz to techno – you name it, we’ve sung it!
Over the past 9 generations, we have:
- Competed regularly in the ICCAs (International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella), becoming UK champions in 2021 and receiving awards for Outstanding Arrangement, Choreography and Vocal Percussion. Following the win, we secured interviews on local TV stations as well as an appearance on ITV’s This Morning.
- Performed at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival every August, including multiple sell-out runs, namely in 2022 and 2023!
- Released two albums, the second being ‘Red Hot’ (2021) which was nominated for 10 CARAs (Contemporary A Cappella Recording Awards), and won four, including ‘Best Mixed Voices Collegiate Album’; click here for a listen!
- Recorded EPs, released music videos, sung on live radio and appeared on BBC1’s Pitch Battle!
- Been named Champions at the Irish International A Cappella Festival in 2019.
- Been crowned the Voice Festival University Champions in 2016, winning multiple awards in the process.
- Performed regularly at all kinds of events, including society balls, formals and staff events, and we can often be found busking on the streets of Bristol.
We are looking for beatboxers and singers of all parts to join us for another exciting year! We welcome auditions from anyone who’s interested, no matter your level of experience. You do not need to be able to read music.
Please note that being a member of The Bristol Suspensions is a big commitment – there are rehearsals, weekend trips, video shoots, and studio recordings. Members are expected to learn music outside of rehearsals. That being said, it is an incredibly fun and rewarding experience to have, and an amazing way to enhance your time at university.
- Tuesday 8-10pm in Stephenson (in the SU)
- Sunday 6-9pm in AR2 (in the SU)
Niamh Higgins (she/her)